REGULATIONS 62nd VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
- THE FESTIVAL
The main objective of VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL is to show and promote films of artistic quality which contribute to the knowledge of worldwide cinematography.
- DATE AND CONTACT INFORMATION
The 62nd edition of Valladolid International Film Festival (Spain) will be held between 21st and 28th October 2017.
The Festival office address is:
SEMANA INTERNACIONAL DE CINE DE VALLADOLID
Calle Leopoldo Cano, s/n, 4th Floor
47003 Valladolid (Spain)
Tel: +34 983 426 460
Opening hours to the public, Mon. to Fri.: 09.00 a.m - 2.00 p.m
The Festival consists of the following sections:
- OFFICIAL, offering a panorama of current international cinema. The feature-lengths and shorts in this section may participate either in or out of competition.
- MEETING POINT, a competitive parallel showcase of first and second fiction films worthy of special attention for their subject matter or style. Short films are also programmed.
- TIME OF HISTORY, a competitive section for documentaries.
- DOC. SPAIN, a competitive section for Spanish documentaries.
- SHORTS FROM CASTILE & LEON, a competitive section for shorts made or produced in the region, or made by directors who were born or live there.
- FEATURES FROM CASTILE & LEON, a non-competitive showcase of fiction feature-lengths or documentaries either made or produced in the region or by directors born there.
- SIDEBARS, devoted to the presentation and analysis of directors, genres, styles, a nation's cinema, cinema and wine, etc.
- SEMINCI JOVEN, a competitive section of films for a teenage public (12 to 18 year-olds).
- MINIMINCI, a non-competitive showcase of films for 7 to 12 year-olds.
All films entered for the OFFICIAL, MEETING POINT, TIME OF HISTORY and DOC. SPAIN sections must comply with the following conditions:
- They must be no more than twelve months old by October 2017 and must be Spanish premieres (no previous commercial, DVD, video, TV or online screening in Spain).
- They must not have been screened at any other film festival in Spain, neither in nor out of competition, nor have been presented in any kind of event.
- Formats acceptable for screening during the event depend on the installations of the venues where the film will be screened.
Films participating in the Official Section should preferably be DCP, although, exceptionally, 35mm may be possible.Films participating in all other sections can be DCP, 35mm, Digibeta or HDCAM (standard).
Either the producers or the person submitting the film should provide the technical team of the Festival (email@example.com) with the appropriate KDMs for each screening venue. The Festival will not cover the costs of generating these keys.
Films will be screened in their original language version with Spanish or English subtitles. In the second case, a transcript of the subtitles/dialogue list and a DVD of the film must be supplied beforehand in order to permit preparation of electronic subtitles in Spanish.
- Films submitted may be feature-lengths or shorts. Films over 60 minutes will be considered feature-lengths. Short films must not exceed a running time of 30 minutes.
- AWARDS AND JURIES
An International Jury will decide the winners of the following awards from those feature-lengths and shorts selected for participation in competition in the OFFICIAL SECTION. None of these awards may be declared void:
* GOLDEN SPIKE and SILVER SPIKE with cash awards of 60.000 € and 20.000 €, respectively, for the Spanish distributors of these films.
* 'PILAR MIRÓ' PRIZE TO THE BEST NEW DIRECTOR, competing with a first or second feature-length for the cinema. The filmmaker receives a cash award of 10.000 €.
* 'RIBERA DEL DUERO' PRIZE TO THE BEST DIRECTOR . The filmmaker receives a cash award of 6.000 €.
* BEST ACTRESS and BEST ACTOR Awards.
* BEST DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY Award.
* 'MIGUEL DELIBES' AWARD FOR BEST SCRIPT.
* GOLDEN SPIKE and SILVER SPIKE with cash awards of 6.000 € and 3.000 €, respectively, for the director of each film.
* 'EFA SHORT FILM NOMINEE VALLADOLID 2017' Award. The director of the best European short will receive 2.000 €, and the film is automatically nominated as one of the finalists for the European Film Academy Short Film Award.
Only one joint prize is permitted within the Awards to feature-lengths and one within the shorts category. Cash prizes, in this case, will be split equally. The 'EFA Short Film Nominee' prize cannot be awarded jointly.
A Jury of three professionals will award a prize for the BEST FEATURE and one for the BEST FOREIGN SHORT in the Meeting Point section. The director of the feature will receive 15.000 € and the director of the short 3.000 €. The subsection 'A Night of Spanish Shorts' will have a separate cash award of 3.000 € for the director of the winning film, also awarded by the Jury.
SEMINCI Joven: A Prize of 6.000 € is awarded to the director of the winning film, according to the votes of the young spectators.
A Jury of three professionals will award a prize of 20.000 € to the filmmaker of the BEST DOCUMENTARY in the Time of History section. The Jury will also award a SECOND PRIZE of 10,000 €, also for the filmmaker. All prizes must be conferred.
Another Jury of three Spanish professionals will award a prize of 6.000 € to the filmmaker of the BEST DOCUMENTARY in the DOC. Spain section.
Rainbow Award: A separate Jury will give this Award to the film which shows the most sensitivity towards the LGTB community.
- PRIZE WINNERS
Award-winning films must feature the festival logo specifying the award won in Valladolid on all posterior prints, DVDs or Blu-rays of the film and on all publicity material.
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Valladolid International Film Festival does not charge entry fees and films should be submitted as follows:
Films being submitted for preview by the Selection Committee
An entry form must be filled in for each submission. This is available on the Festival web page: www.seminci.es
For preview purposes, films can be sent online via a secure link with password (c.f. link on our web page: www.seminci.es) or a DVD screener with Spanish, English or French subtitles can be sent by courier to the Festival Office before June 30th, 2017.
Due to the large volume of DVDs received, the Festival is unable to return screeners.
If your submission is successful you will be informed by the beginning of September.
Films already officially invited by the Selection Committee
- The invitation sent for each film selected by the Festival must remain strictly confidential between the Festival management and the participant until the Festival makes an official announcement to this regard.
- A fully completed entry form together with a DVD and a transcript of the subtitles/dialogue list of the film should be sent to the Festival Office.
- Prints should be forwarded by courier to:
VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Calle Leopoldo Cano, s/n.
47003 VALLADOLID (SPAIN)
The Festival must be informed of transport details immediately afterwards. All prints should ideally arrive before October 1st, 2017.
- Press material and publicity for each film must also reach the Festival Office by October 1st. A press-book, stills and a three-minute trailer should be sent electronically for insertion on the Festival web page. 10 posters should be sent by post to the festival office.
- TRANSPORT OF FILMS
Unless negotiated otherwise, all transportation costs incurred in sending the print to and from Spain must be borne by the entity or individual(s) registering it for participation.
The Festival insurance policy covers fire, theft, damage and destruction of the print for the period spanning its arrival until its return.
The Festival will only accept claims on any print within a period of ONE MONTH after the date it was returned.
The Festival Direction will determine the order and date of the screening of all films. Once a film has been registered for participation, it cannot be withdrawn or screened elsewhere in Spain, as specified in Art. 4, prior to its screening at Valladolid.
Participation in the Festival implies the unconditional acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations. The interpretation of the regulations will be the exclusive responsibility of the Direction of the Valladolid International Film Festival. In any event of doubt, the Spanish version of these regulations will be deemed binding.